Why should airports do anything for the goons who bring small children on a plane ride? We parents are asking for trouble just by setting foot in the airport, and now we also want play areas. First we expect preferential treatment like early boarding, and now THIS.
To be clear, I'm not complaining that airports don't always have fantastic play areas and kid friendly zones. It's true that, by choosing to fly with tots, I'm signing up for a certain amount of misery. However, given the choice, sometimes I'd be willing to pay another $10 on my ticket if it means I'll be routed through a fun place where my kids can get their wiggles out, rather than a yucky, smoke-filled airport with no seating and dirty floors. It's hard to find enough information to make these decisions, however, so I started a blog to help my fellow travelers. Please let me know what you think!

Monday, December 21, 2009

Albuquerque International Sunport (0 stars)

Well,  Albuquerque has made my job easy, though distasteful.  There is nothing in the whole, admittedly small, "sunport" that demonstrates they thought about their smallest customers when designing the place.  Unless you want to count the ice cream.

Albuquerque is a great city and has lots to offer families, but the airport lags far behind in that respect.  The best things I found there for my kiddos were the tiny observation deck and, later, a small open spot of floor near the departure gate.  At this point in our travels I was trying to maneuver around with a stroller, two cranky toddlers, two cowboy hats, a balloon (? where did we get THAT?), a dish of ice cream, our carry-on bag, and some soiled pants.  Don't get me started.

So the long and short of it is that, though I love Albuquerque, the Sunport rates a fat 0 when it comes to kids.  Sorry, but the truth hurts.  Here, for form's sake, are my standard questions and answers for establishing the rating:

Are there one or more play areas?  No

Is there one in every terminal, after passport control? n/a

Is the play area conveniently located?  n/a

Is there information about the play areas available online? n/a

Are maps clearly labeled to make finding the play areas easy? n/a

Are there one or more nursing areas? no

Description: n/a

1 comment:

  1. Oh, no! I hope this doesn't keep you from visiting! :)
    It DOES have free wifi, at least...

    ReplyDelete