Why should airports do anything for the goons who bring small children on a plane ride? We parents are asking for trouble just by setting foot in the airport, and now we also want play areas. First we expect preferential treatment like early boarding, and now THIS.
To be clear, I'm not complaining that airports don't always have fantastic play areas and kid friendly zones. It's true that, by choosing to fly with tots, I'm signing up for a certain amount of misery. However, given the choice, sometimes I'd be willing to pay another $10 on my ticket if it means I'll be routed through a fun place where my kids can get their wiggles out, rather than a yucky, smoke-filled airport with no seating and dirty floors. It's hard to find enough information to make these decisions, however, so I started a blog to help my fellow travelers. Please let me know what you think!

Saturday, January 9, 2010

Lambert-St. Louis International Airport (2 stars)

The St. Louis airport does not fare well in my analysis from a parent/ tot perspective.  It may have a play area, but it is difficult to find, far away from many gates, and not fabulous.  However, kudos for having a play area at all, and the fact that there's a little-used terminal (D) with lots of space to run around is definitely a bonus.  Here's the full review:

Are there one or more play areas?  There is one. 

Is there one in every terminal, after passport control? Only terminal C has one, and it's between gate C-25 and C-27.  Incidentally, the USO is also in this area.  The USO is not labeled on any maps; you have to call it from an airport phone to find out how to get there.  It's a nice little perk for military families, with some snacks and a movie lounge, as well as a tiny little play space.  I'm not complaining about the size-- hey, it's a wonderful resource even without the play space.

Is the play area conveniently located? Not unless you're flying from terminal C.

Is there information about the play areas available online? nope.   I couldn't remember the gate numbers, but found some handy info at sleepinginairports.com to jog my memory.

Are maps clearly labeled to make finding the play areas easy? no, I found it difficult to find the info.

Are there one or more nursing areas?  not that I saw.


Description:   Sorry, I don't have pictures of this one either.  I remember it being small and a bit disappointing, after the long haul and tram ride to get to it.  I visited this play area in July 2009, and will be back again next summer so I'll try to snap some photos then!

No comments:

Post a Comment